Last year, and a good portion of this school year I’ve been rather silent on my blog. For those of you that have read my previous posts you know that this is because I started University and haven’t had the time to work on the blog and get everything I needed to do for school done. So, I figured that this would be a good time to talk about my first year of university.
For those that have been to university, you know it can be hard. So the following is my top 10 moments of first year university:
1) I found a few friends that I wouldn’t give up for the world. If you know me, you know that I have many acquaintances but very, very few people I would consider close to me or even a friend for that matter making this quite the momentous occasion.
2) Exam Chicken. Yes, I said it.. I brought an entire christmas feast including a cooked chicken to an exam and it was amazing.
3) I became more confident and comfortable with my art work in a way that I have never felt before. It can be quite difficult to love your own art work, it’s kind of like trying to feel beautiful in your own skin. It takes a lot to get there, but when it happens it’s a wonderful thing
4) I met a teacher who was infuriating and endearing at the same time. No matter what I said or did he always knew exactly what I was doing, thinking, or saying. I pride myself on the fact that very few people actually know me well enough to do that and it was quite a hard pill to swallow that someone could just understand having never met me before. It was good for putting my ego in check though.
5) I made banana pancakes for some of my friends, and it was delicious.
6) I got the highest grades in first year than I had ever gotten in any schooling I’ve ever been in
7) I stood up for myself to people who were clearly trying to use me, and cut the tumors out of my social life. A much needed change
8) My significant other and I learned to allow for the distance that studying and school can cause in a relationship instead of allowing it to strain us to a breaking point
9) I almost failed a course, but then we had all of our grades raised by 20% because the entire class did poorly. Yay free marks!
10) I became Lobster girl. A very untactful girl asked me what gender I was, my reply was “Lobster” and then I promptly walked away like zoidberg. The girl even sounded a bit like Regina George in her delivery of that question.
and of course, this means that I have to list my top 10 blunders of my first year
1) I didn’t sleep very much, and instead spent that time studying
2) I was so burnt out by the end of semester 2 that it took me all summer and half of 2nd year to get over it
3) I was so stressed that everything got thrown off, eating, sleeping, working, loss of hobbies, etc,etc,etc everything went to the crapper more or less
4) I became a bit of a recluse and turned down a lot of invites for events and such
5) I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder
6) I ate far too much junk food and gained my freshman 15
7) I studied hard, but not efficiently
8) I started to swear 80x more than before
9) I lost my zest for anything other than school and let it consume everything, leaving me with no hobbies and little fun.
10) I got a little bit big headed at first with my new found confidence in my art, I do promise though that my exaggerated ego has since been popped .
That was my first year in a nut shell. If you’re entering first year make sure you eat right and start to exercise, it’ll be well worth it